Friday, August 28, 2009

a super model doing super things....

I wanted to look like her. I wanted to talk in low tones like her. I wanted to smile like her and laugh like her and catch the light on her face the way she knew how. Bottom line, I wanted to be her.

I remember looking at her aqua blue eyes and milky skin and thinking to myself, Could anyone be more beautiful?! I was about eight years old and supermodel Kathy Ireland was at the pinnacle of her modeling career... you know, when models actually modeled and were super at it. She lived a glamorous life featured on magazine covers and spent time with rock stars spending money like it wasn't important.

Today this supermodel has become a bona fide superwoman in my book. Instead of hanging out with rock stars, she spends her time hanging out with those in need; in need of hope, joy, and reasons for living. She gives money away because deep down inside, she knows it's not important. I know this for a fact because I got the honor of partnering with her for her annual Kathy Ireland Mentor Tea last year. Years have passed but in the few moments that I got to speak with her, I felt like the eight year-old little girl again; I wanted to be her. But this time it was because of the lives she was changing, not the life she was living.

Her organization takes inner-city teen mothers and pairs them with mentors to encourage and guide them in their first year of teen-parenting. Here's where YOU come in. As keynote speaker for this event, I was asked if I knew any professional women who would be interested in making a difference in the life of a inner-city teen mother. If you live in the Los Angeles or Orange Country area and would like to make a difference in the life of a young woman, contact 9-1-1 for Kids at (714) 894-5450 and ask to speak to Shumaila or Nichole.

Note: The comments have been turned off. For more mentor information, contact the number above :)

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin