Friday, May 8, 2009

in the name of love...

While in Israel a few weeks ago, I got several opportunities to speak with Sonny from the rock band, P.O.D. (Yeah, yeah, I'm name dropping, but I never get to meet rock stars so let me have my fun!). While sitting by the Dead Sea he candidly asked me some questions about ministry, life, and the direction for the 21st century church. We waxed philosophically with a few other 20somethings as the sun set and continued talking until the sun rose over the lifeless sea. After hours and hours of endless cups of dark coffee and circular banter with people from various backgrounds, ethnicities, and cultures, Sonny asks me, So why do you do what you do? What makes you continue to fight this fight and not grow weary from religious bigots or secular heathens. I blinked  a few times (a fool-proof stall tactic I use when I'm thinking), and mumbled one word: LOVE.

Silence blanketed the group and I didn't know whether they thought it was a cliche answer or something profound. Instead of listening to Israeli crickets chirp, I opened my mouth and filled in the gaps. 1 John 4:8 says that God IS love. If we really believe this statement, then our interactions with prostitutes or professors, hood rats or Hollywood's elite, those who are Christian or those who are carnal will be motivated and predicated by the LOVE of God. God IS love... therefore wherever I walk, whenever I talk, when I teach or when I preach, I want to do everything in the name of LOVE, for God is LOVE. 

No one moved until Sonny let out a long sigh. It was almost as if they were awaiting his sage response as affirmation of my statement... good thing he nodded his head and replied, That's deep, Bianca, that's deep. I let out a long sigh and felt like I had a revelation; like a glimmer of Life coming from the Dead Sea. It was fabulous. It was magical. It was needed. 

I returned home and made the vow that things were going to change in all aspects of my life. So here I am! This is the genesis of a new season in my life and I am happy. I'm going to live in LOVE in the name of LOVE... for God is LOVE.

Walk. Talk. Teach. Preach. In The Name Of Love.

Bianca

15 comments:

Raul Hernandez said...

First Post. I'm sure there will be many more to come. Imagine if everything we did was out of our sheer love for Jesus Christ. The world we be a radically different place.

Diandra Ann said...

Oh my gosh I was JUST thinking about this! Sometimes I'll admit... its pretty hard for me. But its something I really want to do also! Thanks for the encouragement! Cant wait to see what else you have to say! YAY blog! xoxo

Brianna said...

helllooooo!!!! can i get a "unveiling" heads up or something?! after i work tirelessly trying to help you finish your bio and pick the best picture (kudos for the heading!), you spring this on me with no warning. grrr....

but i love it!

Anonymous said...

Preach it sister! I love, I'm so looking forward to my new season, I just gotta believe.

1717

Julieann said...

I cannot wait to read more. You inspire me!!! Thank you so much for blogging!

<3,

Julieann

Anonymous said...

loving it!! ;)

-j

Anonymous said...

True that sister!! I fell in love with that saying when Rev Run ends his thought of the day with that- God is Love!! Can't wait to read more.

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the Blog Bianca!!! I scour facebook each day to find something deep and I'm always disappointed, talk about idle chatter, uuhh boy! I/we look forward to your blog, Mary and I have it on our Favorites, and I read all 3 outloud for Diana. Love you and if you have time post what you all talked about at the Dead Sea...all night. Hector G.

Bianca said...

Hector, I love you guys!!!

I will never forget my McDonald's birthday dinner, Genie t-shirt, and carnival birthday at Legg Lake park. You guys mean SO much to me ;)

Anonymous said...

Just something quick...LOVE is when we LOVE people enough to tell them that the ONLY way to Jesus is by the cross. No matter what WE try to do to LOVE people, WE can't do ANYTHING! To LOVE somebody means to tell them the truth. Which is Jesus Christ and Him crucified..and the blood He shed, because He LOVED us! =) Just thought you could think on that one!! =)

Frannie said...

This was beautiful. You have jump started my soul into motivation.

i.am.tamryn said...

Bianca your LOVE for the Lord has renewed my faith in passionate people. Passionate about God and passionate about making a difference. I hope one day I have the opportunity to listen to you talk. God has been so good in my life, I am truly blessed with a beautiful family, plentiful friends and opportunities to better myself all the time. Some times we take all those things for granted, so thanks for reminding me this morning. God Bless. (My prayer this morning goes out to South Africa, God keep them safe in this transition of political unrest, keep guiding the right people in the right direction for a more stable and safe country so that one day I might return home without any prejudice or fear. Amen)

Amy Clifton said...

I found you through your sister's blog...beautiful words of inspiration and truth and love here. Thanks for sharing, your site looks great, and I'll be back again to read! Congrats!

Vanessa said...

Your words are so deep but genuine and relate-able. I am really super excited to start following your blog! :)

Marnee said...

Love it!! :)

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin