Tuesday, March 23, 2010

stuff christians like...

If you don't laugh at awkward Christian side hugs or t-shirts with popular brands reworked as witnessing tools, perhaps you shouldn't buy Stuff Christians Like. But as a pastor's kid who now works in ministry, I've come to learn that if we can't laugh at ourselves, we're taking ourselves too seriously.

Jon Acuff is a satiric hero who crafts epic story-telling, powerful life lessons, and hilarious Christian blunders in a language which is real and raw, yet comically palatable. How someone can be ridiculously hilarious and yet an authentic believer in Jesus Christ, makes me jealous. In fact, I am jealous. If I didn't like him so much, I'd rip off his material.

If you don't want another Christian dating book or devotional on joy-filled living, get this book and laugh about mission-trip romances, virgins and unicorns, and why Mormons are slightly nicer than Christians. The way I see it, the early Church had symbols of their fraternity by drawing the Christendom fish in the sand. I propose we drop phrases like Booty-God-Booty or buttons proclaiming we [heart] side hugs.

Why? Because if we can't laugh at ourselves, we are taking ourselves too seriously.

Jon Acuff can be found blogging daily and highly recommend you check out some of his favorite posts! Better yet, order his book here.

18 comments:

Aurora Mckeehan-Vilchis said...

Soooo true! This is awesome. :)

Bianca said...

He wrote a GREAT blog today about pastor's kids gone wild! I laughed because it was so true.

You should check out his book. I loved it!

Jenn said...

I have never heard of him, but I'll check out his stuff. I'm learning that you have a good gauge of stuff I'll like, so I trust ya' :)

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

It kind of sounds like you're making a sport of Christians. I believe t-shirts and other witnessing tools are important.

But I'll check out his blog and get my own thoughts collected. Thank you for your time. I really like your blog.

Love from NZ

jamiedelaine said...

hahahahahahahaha. i love it. so much. i also love "stuff white people like." i was laughing out loud so much at that last night. ;)

Diandra Ann said...

That made me laugh right out loud. I can see what Anonymous is saying from that perspective, but I think as pastors kids and people in ministry, you see things in a different light... you see things SO MUCH that you almost have to laugh at it. I definitely want to check this one out!

Anonymous said...

hi bianca... this has nothing to do with the article which was awesome thank you! but as a homeschool child I am praying about homeschooling my 10 & 8 yr old ~ I wanted to know your input on it. Would you homeschool your children? Do you believe that is the best thing for children? I would be blessed to here an input from someone who was homeschooled? I appreciate it

christy said...

He is hilarious...i passed his link to my sis a few months back and she thought the same....i ordered his book pre-sale and cannot wait to read the book, it should be here anyday!

Anonymous said...

Bianca
Vannessa and I both follow him on twitter and we just love him! I was planning on ordering his book today! Yes and I love the whole Booty-God-Booty...
love you

Allie Marie Smith said...

His blog about DVS - Deep V-neck Syndrome was classic! I couldn't resist forwarding to some of our pastors. Thanks for sharing this B - excited to check out his book too. Looks pretty entertaining!

Bianca said...

Seriously guys, he's awesome. Like as a person and a writer.

@Anonymous: I'll be speaking at for a homeschool group this Thursday evening at 7PM. If you're in the LA area, you should come. Email me at bianca@inthenameoflove.org for more info!

Jewelielyn said...

i found his blog as a result of something you tweeted a few weeks back and immediately added my name to the followers list. i read a lot of blogs, but only follow a few--scl made the cut. as, of course, did yours :)

Cindy A. said...

That pic is hilarious! "Blessing pats" hahaha! What's this "booty-God-booty" about? I wanna know!

Brianna said...

His blog is one of my favorites...right after yours. :)

p.s. since it seems you got an advanced copy of the book, how about letting me borrow it on the sly??

Anonymous said...

Book seems funny but i am afraid that i might find some parts funny and other parts making too much fun of christians. Its like making fun of my family, its all in fun but sometimes I get carried away. So if you have read the whole book and find it ok, i will consider reading it!! Love you bi!! :)

Anonymous said...

But actually my hubby said that the description of the book reminds him of our favorite christian comedian, Tim Hawkins so I think we will give the book a chance and I will stop being so stuffy!! Love you Bi!! :)

Melinda said...

I downloaded it to my iphone today during lunch. Hilarious! Thanks for the recommendation!!

sassymo said...

Oh, I have to start following his blog! So funny. Thanks for sharing.

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin