Wednesday, March 24, 2010

lessons from an 11 year old...

Jesus said, Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these. --Matthew 19:14

The room was full and worship ended when the youth pastor came forward to announce there would be a impromptu prayer session. Now, I wasn't quite sure if he knew I had completed two sessions and worship had officially ended. Call me YeOfLittleFaith, but did he really expect Junior Highers to pray? Out loud? After being cooped up for nearly two hours?

Yes. He. Did.

Pastor Gil opened in prayer and silence ensued. But one by one, sweet voices began to speak out requests from around the room and I knew why Jesus desired we have faith as a child (Mark 10:15). One particular girl moved me by her simplicity and assurance. In two long breaths she spoke out statements of belief for petitions she requested. In other words, her requests were in complete faith they would be answered.

I grabbed the precious girl after our time of prayer ended and asked her to pray with me. She giggled as if I was joking, but I was serious. I grabbed her under my arm and told her she had the gift of prayer and I needed her faith. We prayed together and after we had ended, I asked her if I could blog about her faith. She said I could--as long as I posted a picture. (This girl was a riot!)

Kayla, thank you for teaching me to have faith as a child. Your belief in our God is humbling, your faith is inspiring, and your confidence is hilarious! Never lose your boldness or faith. Keep praying like a child.

Love,
:B

15 comments:

christy said...

that's awesome...sometimes i listen to my seven yr old pray and he surprises me with the same kind of faith....i need some of that faith...my husband always asks our kids to pray because he knows they ask in complete faith....

the BLAH BLAH BLAHger said...

Isn't it a blessing to have our faith renewed and strengthened by a youngster like her??? What a gift!

melissa said...

precious, precious, precious!!!! she is adorable. our children teach us so much!

so you HAVE to read my blog post I just put up on my girls praying. i have two prayer warriors, too...*wink,wink

Dinner Time Prayers

Steph said...

This goes with Monday's post, which I am STILL processing... "You have not because you ask not!"

Oh Jesus! Forgive me for short-changing the Kingdom because I lack faith in Your miracle working power. Thank you for proving Yourself faithful time & time & time again!!!

Cindy A. said...

Wow! Please keep our youth in prayer! Just as they lift up petitions in prayer, please pray for these young ones because they face stuff today that I couldn't have imagined going through as a jr higher! And if I can throw it out there, keep those who serve in youth ministry in prayer too please! Particularly pray for patience and kindheartedness ;)

Faith, Food and Fitness For Real said...

Renay and I were just talking about this the other day at dinner. When our children pray it is so simple with pure motives and their prayers are answered.

I want to share a story. My son is only 2 years old and for a week he was praying for "t's car" every time we would pray. My husband asked why is he praying for "aunties car?" I said I dont know but just pray. So we did every time to satisfy him. One night at dinner we were with his auntie and he again prayed for her car. She said did he pray for my car. I said yes, he did.. She said that is crazy for about a week, every time I get in my car I felt like I was going to get in a car accident.

There has been many times he has prayed for the fire trucks only for them to be called out a few minutes later. It blows my mind, because if we had enough faith and were still enough to hear God's voice we to could be used like this children.

I have learned so much about faith through the eyes of a toddler.. that's for sure!

CupcakeSniper said...

she is adorable!!! and wow! so young and already a prayer warrior :)

Jason said...

That's fantastic. :)

Dana said...

LOVE it!!! She's amazing!!! =)

The Montgomerys said...

When I'm upset or stressed, my 3 year old daughter always says, "talk to Jesus momma, he will fix it!"....so simple, and so true. I <3 Kayla! So fantastic, a warrior for Christ at such a young age...ahhhmazing!

Love,
Mon <3

Anonymous said...

That's awesome!!!!

Bianca said...

Kids say the darnest things!

She was a gem. Thanks for the love.

Melissa and Monica, your stories were beautiful. Thank you for sharing!!!

Jasmine said...

You better be careful...soon with enough prayer, she'll have a better blog than you! ;)
Just kidding...I love your blog!

Anonymous said...

That was really heavy, yet very encouraging.

The faith of some children is absolutely amazing.

Raquel said...

the joys of being a youth leader. The other day I made a joke about my cousin and this 12 year old boy called me out and said, "It's not nice to make fun of people." BUSTED! What was I to say!?

Oh the lessons we learn even though we are the adults. 1 Timothy 4:12 :D

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin