Tuesday, December 8, 2009

be a star...

Our society is inundated with a fascination with stars. From movie stars, to music stars, to television stars, to now even reality television stars. With the invention of reality TV, talentless people can become wildly popular.* But the attraction to stars from a biblical perspective can shed light on how we are to interact with friends, family, and frienemies this holiday season.

Matthew 2:1-2, 9-11. A simple light hanging against a bruised colored sky led wise men to the truth. From this passage we learn these learned men were from the east, educated and wise, had political clout, knowledgeable in prophesy, indifferent to status (yet were of great wealth), and divinely in tune to spiritual matters.

Compare the wise men to the shepherds in Luke 2:8-12. Shepherds were lowly, base men who were looked down upon in society. They slept for several nights on end with sheep and probably smelled like sheep. Yet as non-entities in society they were endowed the privilege of worshiping the son of the Living God. Against the darkness of the night, both groups witnessed luminous, bright testaments to the coming birth of our Lord.

Society is telling us to be a star, act like a star, dress like a star. I would like to modify this thought. Be the star that leads wise men and simple men to the cross. Be the star that has answers and gives hope to those who are searching. Be the luminous voice from heaven that encourages even the lowly that are blessed and the Christ child has come for them.

Be a star! You never know--someone might ask you for your autograph ;)

*See William Hung and every show on E! entertainment channel.

14 comments:

Raquel said...

I love this challenge that we would lead both wise and simple to Jesus!

christy said...

great post! Yes with the media focusing on "so called stars" these day that have such a huge impact on people, (enough to lead them down a path that is away from God)we should feel more compelled and determined to be big bright stars that lead them to our Jesus and to eternal salvation.

Cindy A. said...

Wow, I had never thought of it that way. I'm motivated for my day! Thanks, Bianca!

Jewelielyn said...

i love this post! my favorite Bible verse is in Philippians--"Do everything without complaining or arguing. Then you will be blameless and innocent. You will be God's children without any faults among people who are crooked and corrupt. You will shine like stars among them in the world as you hold firmly to the word of life. (Phil 2:14-16) i admit i am not always very good at the "without complaining" part, but when God looks at the earth, i want Him to see me shining like a star . . . so i keep trying :)

Laurel said...

That is BEAUTIFUL!

Thanks Bianca ... for a great visual to think about today.


:) :) :)

Laurel said...

I just "stole" this post for my blog (with links, of course). Hope you don't mind.

Your other Mama :)

Lydia said...

Oh Bianca, sometimes you amaze me! I love this! May we all shine brightly this Christmas season and throughout the rest of the year!

Anonymous said...

Wow, thank you Bianca. So blessed by this. Did you know (previous post) the meaning of Esther's name in Persian is "star"? Just a thought that came to me.
Peace & Blessings

Diandra Ann said...

LOVE IT!

Maribel said...

You my dear are a bright star!

Bianca said...

I'm glad y'all agree. I'm sure not everyone does, but they're also the ones who got offended that I mentioned reality TV ;)

PS Laurel, of COURSE you can!

Anonymous said...

very nice! I have never compared the 2 in my reading of these scriptures. thank you bi!! and i am reading Ecclesiastes how the rich and poor both die and all is vanity so this was so neat how it complimented what i was reading!! :)

Lindsay said...

Great post!
Now I have some dodgy song about shining like a star in my head...at least it'll keep reminding me!

"Come on and shine, 'shine', shine like a star, shining so bright, wherever you are!"

Mommaloo said...

But how do you get a teenager to understand that?

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin