Tuesday, December 1, 2009

beautiful disaster...

Third year art students were required to scour the corridors of LACMA and find a piece to discover, unfold, reveal. Fully researched and prepared, a piece had been chosen because of it's beautiful perfection. It was neatly framed and cohesive and palatable to all viewers. It was perfect. But something paused the Hunt for the Perfect Art Piece. Overwhelmingly massive and jetting out from the wall was a large wooden assemblage art piece.

I had studied assemblage and the Dada art movement, but it was disastrous, heinous, and riotous to me. Really? Slapping junk together was hardly creative, let alone beautiful, I said to myself as I flipped through my Gardner's Art Through The Ages textbook. Finding redeeming qualities in chairs, boxes, poles, and crates was difficult--even for an neo-art snob like me.

Standing in front of this piece, however, brought to life the ugly, unsettling, unnerving beauty in the undone. It was a beautiful disaster.

When examining life, sometimes the neatly framed, cohesive, and palatable is over taken by the assemblage of the life's circumstances. Ephesians 2:10 says we are his workmanship. We are his art piece crafted according to his good purpose. When Life looks like a beautiful disaster, God has crafted us in his great beauty for his good works.

What is disastrous in your life? How can you find the beauty in it? Revel in being a beautiful disaster :)

8 comments:

Annie said...

Oh wow. Not sure I'll uncover THAT kind of information here, but let's just say that I am, in deed, a disaster. Not sure I've found the beauty in it though. ;0)

That song from Jon McLaughlin ("Beautiful Diaster") makes me think of all of this. It certainly is an important consideration...

Diandra Ann said...

I have no problem finding the disasters... its the beautiful part that can be hard. Good thing God uses disasters for good :)

Melinda said...

Praising God that He takes the disastrous and makes it beautiful. He turns our ashes into beauty, our sorrow to joy.

christy said...

yes..the beauty part is a bit more difficult to recognize or find...i am so amazed at God's grace and love for us...as undeserving as it is...

Beth said...

it's amazing to look back and see how God used disasters to create beautiful situations, maybe I should start looking harder to see the beautiful hand of God during the hard times!

Bianca said...

Is it totally ridiculous that I've been singing Kelly Clarkson's "Beautiful Disaster" all day?

Yes, I sang it was my index finger in the air and moving it with soul as each note changed. I have issues.

Tish said...

I was wondering the other day about Jesus' mama Mary...and if she complained and griped all the way to Bethlehem for the census. I know I would have. And yet God used the census to get Mary and Joseph to Bethlehem so that prophecy might be fulfilled. There are things in my life that look somehwat disastrous...not how I would have liked or planned them to be...and, yet, in eager excitement I wonder what God might be working out through it all!

Lindsay said...

I totally had a moment like this last week. I cried at how disasterous I was! But God makes all things beautiful, in the right time. Love this post!

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin