Monday, January 25, 2010

silent worship...

God of wonders beyond our galaxy, you are holy, holy. The universe declares your majesty, you are holy, holy...

The words were audible and for all intents and purposes, no one knew they were empty. A long drive to church, a long walk from the parking spot, and a long line in the restroom wasn't the preparation I required for worshipping on Sunday morning. But alas, the 20something worship leaders wearing skinny jeans and v-neck shirts were rocking their scenester haircuts and singing a song that been sung one million and two times before. No offense Chris Tomlin, I've never liked it.

Until yesterday.

I saw a group of passionate movement from a section of the sanctuary. I stared. I stared at the woman who passionately swayed her arms. I stared at the way she moved her face and lipped each word as if she was shouting. But she was silent.

Early in the morning I will celebrate the light and as I stumble in through the darkness, I will call your name by night...

Those following her worshipped in silence, but they were far louder than my cavernous words. They expressively raised their hands from their mouths and silently shouted the lyric, as I stumble in the darkness, I will call your name by night. I was dumbfounded upon a realization. My empty words ceased. They could never call His name by night. Each lyric was silent worship to the Creator of Heaven and Earth signed louder than I could ever sing.

They were deaf.

God of wonders beyond our galaxy, you are holy, holy. Precious Lord reveal your heart to me, Father holy, holy...

13 comments:

Melinda said...

I've been incorporating sign language into my worship for years. There is something special about singing in a language I don't know quite so well (same when I sing in Spanish). It becomes more about the act of worship than the singing.

christy said...

u know...in my church there are a few who sign the songs, now I don't know if they r deaf or not...but it practically moves me to tears everytime I see it...it's so beautiful...

Bianca said...

That's right, girls!!!

Psalm 150:6 "Let everything that has breath praise the Lord."

Anonymous said...

I don't do that. raising hand or singing out loud but in my heart and mind i have a concert everytime we sing at church

Anonymous said...

Beautiful post B!

-j

Matthew T. said...

I think this is their way of saying or expressing their opinions without using words. In fact silence can be much louder than noise in this instance.

Kayla said...

I'm seriously crying, and I have no idea why.

The Montgomerys said...

Wow, how beautiful <3

Becky said...

Beautiful! Its one of the reasons why I would interpret for my friends during worship! I'm SO glad you got to experience that! :)

juniorj said...

Where do you get these amazing pictures for your blogs that go with the theme? Sister?

Bianca said...

@anonymous: thanks for the great visual of singing in your heart :)

@matthew: I totally agree on this one! they were much louder.

@kayla: I [heart] you.

@becky: imagine this and read my hands: palm extended out, ring finger and middle finger touching palm. that's what i think of you.

@junior: 1. when are you going to write on my blog?! 2. google images rock.

Anonymous said...

This is amazingly touching.

Anonymous said...

Bianca~ That made my day! :)

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin