Wednesday, September 30, 2009

do nothing...

I was reading at the gym this morning and my eyes fell onto Philippians 2:3. For some reason I had to read this verse over and over. I've read this verse before but this time it radiated like a pulsing neon sign.
Do nothing out of selfish ambition or vain conceit, but in humility consider others better than yourselves.
But Paul, my friend and homie, don't you know me? I'm intrinsically selfish! We all are. I don't make up the rules, I just play by them. If I don't think of myself in this dog-eat-dog world, who will? If I don't push to the front of life, I'll be trampled and left in the dust. Therefore, my wise friend, on this one, I think you're wrong.

I climbed off the elliptical machine and walked to spin class where I had reserved my bike before anyone else could. Ouch! Was I just selfish?

While finishing my reading this morning at home, the following verses indicated why we should esteem others better than ourselves and who we should emulate. It says nothing about being humble because it's-a-good-thing-to-do or this-is-the-golden-rule-of-human-interaction. No, it boils down plainly to Jesus Christ and His example of true humility. Some of the words I circled in reference to our attitude in verses 7-8 are nothing, servant, human, humbled, and obedient. How many of those descriptions fits my daily behavior? Uh, I'll get back to you on that one.

Don't get me wrong. I hold the door open for people, smile at strangers, give my change to homeless people with witty signs, but Paul encourages us to do nothing if there is an ulterior motive or conceit in actions. Taking this point and inversing the implications, we could read this scripture like this:
Do everything out of humility and earnest actions with no ulterior motives because we are all the same. No one is better than you.
I think this learning was illuminated for more than just me, so I share this with you. Walk with love, talk with love, teach with love, and preach with love. Our example is Jesus Christ.

14 comments:

Diandra Ann said...

great insight again :)

ps... how can you possibly read on the elliptical? I must go with you and see... maybe you arent going fast enough :)

Cindy A. said...

Who's selfish? I AM!

Great post for reflection. Thanks, Bianca!

Tish said...

I never knew just how selfish I was until I had a child. The blackness of my heart suddenly became twenty shades black-ier.

I have noticed that even when I do something w/out selfish motives...like a spur of the moment act of kindness...I ruin it with pride and self-glory afterwards.

Come, Lord Jesus, come.

Warrior in Training said...

Thank you Bianca for sharing such a daring challenge from the heart of God. Lord help me in my weakness.......

christy said...

again, right there with u Tish...

Bianca said...

Seriously, I don't know why I'm so emo today, but I seriously love the blog readers! The honesty moves me.

I HATE being fake! I loathe inauthenticity! Y'all are keepin' it real. You stinkin' bless my heart :)

Tish said...

@Bianca...YOU are the blessing!!!

Tara Harman said...

I never knew how incredibly selfish I was until I got married... I learned that real quick. Its something I have to be aware of and work on daily.

Anonymous said...

When I think of selfless people, I think of Chaz and his wife who adopted those 23 kids in the Philippines. They always come to mind when I complain in my heart about being inconvenienced because I am helping someone. :)

K Betty said...

This verse keeps my head right. Some days it seems like work trying to not be selfish, but loving God w/ mind, body, and spirit AND loving our neighbor as ourself... where does it say focus on ME ME ME? No where, b/c God's plan for us is a selfless plan so we can be molded to what HE knows we are and can accomplish, not to what WE think we are and can accomplish (nada) without Him :) It keeps us straight! GOOD WORD sis!

Anonymous said...

Thanks for reminding us to look to see what we can do for others. It is so easy to get wrapped up in ourselves. Great blog. :)

~Maria

Anonymous said...

wow i underlined this verse just last night! i guess it all comes down to having a servant heart right? vs 5- having the same attitude as jesus.. humility is definitely something to think about/strive to be daily!

...from nz..

Bianca said...

Wait, NZ as in NEW ZEALAND?!

Guess who's visit you? That's right. ME!!! New Zealand is next on my Must-Visit-Before-I-Die list :)

Anonymous said...

Hi !.
You re, I guess , perhaps very interested to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no initial capital needed You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The company incorporates an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become really rich in short time?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I feel good, I started to get real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to select a correct companion utilizes your funds in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first investment was 500 dollars only!
It`s easy to get involved , just click this link http://lagulosuqu.the-best-free-web-hosting.com/mareviwi.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to feel the smell of real money

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin