Friday, September 4, 2009

my dress of many colors...

Ecclesiastes 5:15 says Naked we came into the world, naked we shall leave... Uh, thanks Solomon, but what do we wear in between birth and death? God cares about the minutia of our lives and the small desires of our hearts.

I'm not a fashionista nor claim to be one, but I do love nice clothing. The problem lays smack dab in between wanting certain things and having the ability to buy them. I work a part-time job. At a non-profit organization. In East Los Angeles. Trying to pursue what I believe I'm called to do has forced me, like many of us in this economy, to live on a budget. Designer clothing doesn't event make the list of necessities, but living in LA is hard to do without being desirous of the perishable vice (aka shopping).

God cares about the minutia of our lives and the desires of our hearts. Jesus vocalizes not to worry about our clothing because He beautifully clothes the lilies of the field (Matthew 6:28). See, I know that in principle, but sometimes when I look in my closet I realize the practice of this belief is not as strong. If I have to go out with friends or get dressed for church I begin to unconsciously use Lamaze breathing techniques so I don't hyperventilate and cry from trying to work a miracle in my closet.

But a couple days ago I was window shopping on my way to lunch and saw the Dress of Many Colors. There, hanging on a clothing rack with a divine light shining upon it and celestial melodies filling the air, was a colorful Diane Von Furstenberg dress... by itself... in my size. Something possessed me to asked what the clearance price was and I nearly fell over when I heard the price. IT WAS PENNIES compared to the price tag still hung on the sleeve. I don't want to even tell the price because you'll be so jealous you'll throw me and my Dress of Many Colors into a pit then sell me to slave traders.

I walked out of the store and couldn't help but spiritualize the moment because God clothes the lilies of the valley, feeds the birds of the air, and cares about the things that don't even make my list of necessities. God cares about the minutia of our lives and the desires of our hearts. Maybe designer clothing on clearance doesn't tickle your fancy, but what does? Voice it to the Lord... I promise you He cares.

20 comments:

Anonymous said...

Did you buy THAT dress? (the one in the picture)

Diandra Ann said...

so so cool. i cant wait to see the dress. but this is why you do what you do... you have this way of turning something THAT simple into a lesson about God. I love that you see God in everything. :) you're awesome!

jamiedelaine said...

I wholeheartedly agree. He cares about every aspect of our day! I love that about Him.

christy said...

He does care about the little things...i am right there with you with the budget. A couple of weeks ago I was at work thinking to myself how i would love to go out for sushi (it had been so long) and the next day without even telling my coworker she asked if i would like her to bring me back some sushi on her...i was so amazed and smiling at the fact that God knows the desires of our heart from the miniscule ones to the to ginormous ones....Isn't He so good:)

JACKY FIGUEROA said...

Yayyy!!! Isn't clearance the BEST! Rock it girl!

Lydia said...

Isn't our God so good?

Anonymous said...

I will not covet... I will not covet... I will not covet!!! ;) I am NOT a fashionista. Nor should I even be using that word. However, if there was one designer who could make me swoon and lose control it would be Diane V.F. I'm SOOOOO happy for YOU!!! :)

Anonymous said...

Thank you for the blog. As always it has perfect timing. :) I just gave my two weeks notice at my job, to persue God's calling in our lives. It's hard because now, I totally have to relay on Him clothing me, and providing for me. But because I realize that I am in HIS will, I feel my heart busting with PEACE & JOY!

~Maria

Bianca said...

@anonymous:no, it wasn't that dress. i couldn't rock that dress because i'm not 6'1'' or 97 pounds :) but it's very colorful like that dress.
@diandra: god IS in everything.
@jamie: yes, even those cardigan sweaters you tweeted about were given by god :) jk
@christy: thank you for sharing your story!!! i love hearing others share how god has blessed them!
@jac: have you shopped clearance in you LIFE? i don't believe it. :)
@lydia: god is good all the time and all the time god is good.
@michelle: thank you! i feel so stickin' lucky!!!!

Bianca said...

@maria: i'm SO proud of you and this step of faith!!! god always has provided for my sisters and i in times of financial stress. as we always say, "fake it 'til you make it."

Kristin Collins Rasmussen said...

Fake it 'til you make it is my motto, too! Go sistah!

cassandra-m said...

You make me smile...BIG! Thanks for the reminder to pray...even small prayers. :)))

Anonymous said...

Now I can't wait for you to wear the dress!! :)

amanda thiessen said...

you better work that dress out! its so flowly and awesome!

Quirky Christa said...

This post has given me so much to ponder....God does care about the little desires of our heart and then the whole fake it til you make it remark.
Yes....time to think & process :)

Aileene said...

What a great God we serve! It is so amazing how He cares about our "small stuff" and shows us in ways that are meaningful to us that He loves us and takes care of us. Thank you for the reminder to actively look for the things He does for me every day and to recognize Him in those every day celebrations. :)

juniorj said...

How do you keep up with all your fans? You're like the Wonder Woman of blogging!

Melinda said...

My Omi (dad's mom) passed away this past week and I happened to spend the weekend visiting with my mom and sisters and my mom and grandma were sharing stories of Omi and how she brought elegance to the every day. She bought my mom a Diane Von Furstenberg dress when she was pregnant with my older sister. During a time when maternity clothes were just giant tents, God blessed my mom with a designer dress so she felt beautiful through her pregnancy. This post blessed me after such a rough week, because it's just another reminder from God that He knows, sees and CARES! How great and good and generous is our God.

ps - Earl said they had a great time on Friday :o)

Jennie Finch said...

Bi,

I love it! Thanks for sharing! Our God is so good and so gracious! He totally knows our deepest and smallest desires!
I can picture you looking in front of your closet... Oh just like we were doing 10 years ago! :)
He totally give us "God-Winks" as my dad always says. The littlest things that make you fall to your knees and fill our hearts with joy!

Wish I was closer to share closets with you! We could make Miracles happen! But you do such a fine job on your own! Love you!

Kayla said...

I'm so glad you wrote this. I think a lot of people really scorn stuff like this because they think that it's vain or that it's a waste of money or whatever. But as you said, God cares about the small things, and to Him, they aren't small. Once we give our hearts to Him, everything in our relationship with Him is important because the most important thing of all has been completed. Then we can just enjoy the relationship.

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin