Monday, September 7, 2009

laboring...

While everyone in American enjoyed Labor day around a pool or barbecue, I labored. No, not at my desk or behind a computer, but by moving a billion boxes out of a friend's apartment and into a new one. I walked into the apartment and was waist-deep in boxes; it was daunting. By the time it was said and done, the day proved that 1. friends who move an entire apartment in less than two hours need to start a moving company, and 2. when things seems daunting, friends who help you handle it are little miracles from God.

A few days ago I heard a bing while I was shuffling papers around on my desk. Bing indicates that my life must stop and immediately drop all important things and run to my computer to check email. It must be Pavlovian's bell because on cue I'm at my screen, begging for a treat or a pat on the head. But as I read this particular email, something struck me as different. It wasn't long, self-absorbed, or needy. It was honest. As I read each word in the email, my heart began to break as I learned of an Australian blog-reader who daily visits the blog, not because she has to but because she wants to. She painfully asked me to pray for her sister who, being a single-mother raising two kids and having been in remission of cancer, was once again told that her cancer returned. The litany of questions were asked: why, how come, why us?

By the time I finished the email, I walked into their life and I was waist-deep in boxes; it was daunting. I didn't want to pass along a cliche scripture or pretend that it was going to be fine. I did the only thing I knew how: pray. I wrote her sister's name on a Post-It note, stuck it on my office window, and prayed for a miracle. We both were praying for a miracle.

I received an email from my new Australian friend and I nearly started crying as I read the first sentences:
I don't know where to start with all this, i am on my way home from the snow with my sister. We got all her results, the cancer is GONE. We still have a road to travel, but i wanted to thank u for being a guiding light, inspiration and helping me to get back to god...

Box by box the apartment was moved. Prayer by prayer faith was restored, lives were changed, and cancer removed. Let us not grow weary in doing good, for in due season we will reap if we do not give up. (Galatians 6:9)

17 comments:

Steph! said...

Thank you for reminding me to BELIEVE God! Why is that so hard, when I've SEEN His miraculous power countless times???

Lindsay said...

This is so encouraging. And having moved flats last week, I truly believe anyone offering to help move a box or two is a little miracle!

Mommaloo said...

Your words are so encouraging...thank you for sharing your passion with the internet world and your new internet family.

Unknown said...

Woohoo! What an amazing God we serve!

With love,
Kaitlynn

Rebecca said...

My mom's best friend was in a terrible accident last night and they don't know if she will make it. Very much needed to read this right now. Thanks Bianca! :)

Bianca said...

God is good, friends. I'm so excited to share this news. It reinstates my faith in God's goodness!

jamiedelaine said...

Mmmm, wow. Love.

Lydia said...

Praise the Lord!

Anonymous said...

Just this morning, I read Luke 7:7,9 "...But say the word, and my servant will be healed." and Jesus said, "I say to you, I have not found such great faith..." FAITH IS BEAUTIFUL AND JESUS IS POWERFUL!! I love miracles and I too praise the Lord for your Australian friend's sister!! :)

Tira J said...

Our God is so GOOD! And all HIS people said, AMEN!

Cindy A. said...

God's power to heal has me in tears at my desk! I LOVE JESUS!

Thank you for sharing, Bianca!

Jasmine said...

I love this story...it's so encouraging to know we serve a great God!
xoxo

Anonymous said...

Amen!!! It's so comforting to know that we serve the God of the impossibilities (from Bianca's first study). :)

~Maria

Anonymous said...

Again, I say thank you Bianca. My life is forever changed. You gave me hope again.... As I said I know that we have a road to travel, but my positivity level has changed..
I look forward to reading more on your blog.
-Kyrene

Bianca said...

Kyrene!!! I'm so glad people can hear from you :) You taking a step of faith and asking for prayer has been a blessing for us all :)

Anonymous said...

Just that I have been thinking more (as you do when something like this effects your life) I realise now, that sometimes what you dont need is people telling you that "It will all be ok" sometimes all we need is good old fashion prayer. It still amazes me the power this has.
My message would be dont be afraid to reach out to other people for the power of prayer.
Thanks Again Bianca, you will foreer be in my heart.
Kyrene

Anonymous said...

I believe this was an act of God. What a great post!!!

Google

Blog Widget by LinkWithin